CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 23, 2009

So you want to know how our Taiwan trip was?

I'm pretty sure I heard this question from every person I talked to this week (well, maybe with the exception of the friendly workers at walmart). The trip was awesome...I guess I've just been too tired to blog about it. So thankful that Ben's mom and sister were here so that I could take like 3 hr naps every day to recover from jetlag (poor Ben didn't get to do that, we made him go straight back to work, hehehe). It was so fun to be able to go back and to share that part of my life with Ben. After 20++ hours of travel (flying over both Alaska and Siberia for some strange reason) we finally landed in Taiwan.


See, this is Alaska from the plane window...
We spent the first 6 dayswith my friend Amy, her husband and their boys Abner (yes, I told him I've never met someone named this) and Nick. We had so much fun with them it was hard to leave. We had fun teaching them to play Uno and Phase Ten and forcing them to use English during the game. They spoiled us too much and made us some incredible food and I was grateful that Amy even showed me how to make some of it.
Playing Uno with the boys
On our first day we went up to a place called Jiufen. It's a ways out of the city up some seroiusly winding roads in the mountains. It is beautiful up there and there's lots of shops and places to eat and you can see the ocean.Here's Ben braving his first 'hong dou tang with yuyuan'-red bean soup with chewy taro ball things. I love it.
So I'm not even through the first day and this blog is already longer than most. Well, next we went to visit the town where Amy grew up. It is called Pingxi and is famous for the sky lantern festival. The town is really small and much less modern than other places, but they have tons of shops where you can create your own paper lantern with your wishes written on it to send off into the sky (I'm thinking sending a 4 ft hot air balloon up into the sky to fall who knows where wouldn't be legal here). They looked really neat but we forgot to make one cause it was so rainy. We did ride the old train down the our next destination though.

Amy and me waiting for the train
Amy and Mr. Xue-they were so cute always laughing and linking arms and teasing eachother-unlike most other couples we saw there.
I feel like for some reason Taiwan has an inordinate number of suspension bridges. They look beautiful but can be a bit creepy.
We were going to go to this place with lots of history and supposedly the largest waterfall in Taiwan (or maybe it was all of Asia...I can't recall)-but it turns out it is closed because of some dispute with the government about who owns the natural resources foudn there. It was really pretty though.
We crouched down and took a picture of the waterfall-which was really quite impressive-through the trees and fence
Ok, I think I mostly made it through day one...more to come (I hope this doesn't turn into a 9 part series...)

12 comments:

Adam W. said...

Awesome trip. Thanks for sharing!

Dave Dyk said...

Yay! You blogged and posted a few photos from your trip! I was hoping you wouldn't make me wait until I see you. :) Looks like a lot of fun and makes me wish I could have tagged along too.

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

Looks way too cool. How awesome that you got to go somewhere so cool together. Super jealous. I am glad that you guys had a good time...80% happy, 20% jealous...Love ya!

Summer said...

Thanks Mindy for satisfying my curiosity about your trip! It looks so beautiful there and just on day 1 alone you guys did a lot of really cool things. Can't wait to see more!

Summer said...

Umm, sorry if I just tried to post my comment 3 times, I have no idea what I am doing on these blog websites!

Heidi said...

Sounds like you had fun. Can't wait to see more.

Emily said...

You're so lucky to be able to go back!! I'm so jealous. Did you get to go to Shuang He? Guess I'll have to wait and see your later posts.

Tiffany Jones said...

I've been waiting for this!!! Thanks.

Jenna said...

Yay! I've been waiting to see pics of your trip! Just the first day looks amazing. I can't wait to see more.

We should hang out some time. Things are going great over here :)

Unknown said...

We were so glad that we had a great time with you. Those pictures were so amazing(we love to see them, thanks). Sorry for not taking you to more places. Don't forget you promised me, Ben. Work hard, and come back some day. We are always here for you!

Karin Hopkins said...

Wow, such a fun trip. I'm jealous! Looks like you guys had a blast. Can't wait to see more pics!

Matt said...

I still think you should do a slideshow of your trip and invite us over. Or, you could do it here (and I'll invite you over). I'm glad you had fun.