CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 26, 2009

The year of the ox

新年快樂
-Seriously, if you can read that, you're cool. Happy New Year (what, New Years already happened? Well, today was Chinese New Years). It's been 6 years since I returned home from my mission. Wow, what a blur. I've been missing Taiwan and everyone I knew/met there so much recently. I came up with a crazy idea that I'd like to go back there and I have somehow managed to convince Ben to do it. The tickets are all but purchased and I'm excited. It looks like we will be heading over there in March!! (sans the kiddos, are you nuts? We're beyond grateful to those who've offered to help out on that front)

So anyways, since I've been thinking about all things Chinese for the past week I decided to make some Chinese food and have some friends over to celebrate Chinese New Years today. We made some great wontons, fried rice, fanquie dan, and egg drop with corn soup. Thanks Chartrands and Hongs (minus one) for coming to celebrate with us. We had a great time and I'm glad that we have these Chinese ties that allow us to get together and celebrate this fun holiday! Thanks Carrie for bringing some cute decorations! (In posting these pictures I am reminded that I never did post anything when we painted these rooms way back when. So here you have it-the red room is our downstairs living room and that goes leads into the kitchen which is that brownish color.)
Okay, so this picture wasn't from today. But it was cute, so I had to post it. Hunter and Hailey with their friend Danny.

11 comments:

Carrie said...

Thanks for a fun night! And yes, I'm reading your blog instead of getting ready to go. :)

Tiffany Jones said...

I wish I could go....

tara said...

deja vu on that last picture. i believe there is one just like it with luke on the opposite side of hunter. awesome. anyway, way to go on keeping the mission culture alive! i wish i could go to spain sometime. i'm totally jealous but totally stoked for you as well. have so much fun!!!

Mindy and Benjamin said...

Pretty sure we have a picture with every kid that comes to our house on that little couch...

Sarah said...

How wonderful! I'm so jealous you're actually going back to Taiwan! I really need to do that too, but Danny won out on going to Hawaii with his family instead. But we're going to a Chinese New Year party next Sunday -- that will have to do! (; Guo Nian Kuai le!

Larissa@Just Another Day in Paradise said...

That sounds fun and super yummy! I am really jealous! Yeah for a trip back! PS don't tell Spencer that Ben agreed to go back to your mission with you...have no desire to go to Argentina. Is that bad?

Emily said...

I think it's so awesome that you guys are going back to Taiwan! I am so jealous. I'm glad you're celebrating Chinese New Year too!

Jenna said...

Your house looks awesome with the decorations! Rich traditions create priceless memories are the essence of culture (in my opinion) and make life sweet.

Iris said...

"You mei you, huh...." I hope you run into him!!! I am sooooooooooooo excited for your trip.......where are you going while you are there? Xin nian kuaile!!!!

Bryan said...

What? I thought it was the year of the black sheep- where have I been? Oh, you know what, I was going to host a Caucasian new year to rival your party- but just reading about this made me realize your party was way better than my kool aid fest I was about to throw.

Dave Dyk said...

Fun Party! Love the decorations and your red walls. I hope you make some of that yummy food for me someday.