My mom came down for a visit just in time to celebrate some birthdays with us. We had a great time butchering my vision of the kids birthday cake. It was horrible. Let's just say when those things look so simple to make they're not...unless you are Larissa, or Terri. Anyways, it was supposed to be a castle, but it just kept falling apart. Finally at like 1 am we got things put together enough to go to bed, but when we woke up in the morning it had fallen again. I was so proud of myself that I never cried during the whole ordeal...we just stuck some knights on it with a catapult and claimed that they invaded the kingdom. The weather turned out just perfect and were were able to host like 30-something people in the backyard.
If this picture looks gross, that's because it was. Poor 3 layer cake was doomed from the beginning because of a silly pudding in the mix cake and too-soft homemade frosting...
Now before we went off to bed in the wee hours of the morning this strange looking thing is the best we could do.
Of course it didn't survive invasion during the night and if you'll notice on the cupcake in the bottom left corner there is a knight with a gumdrop catapult taking over the castle.
Here's some of the guests. We were so impressed that all the kids just sat there and ate...quietly.
Here's Hunter opening his first present. It was a great cordless drill like daddy's and he really didn't care to look at the rest of his presents after that-thanks for opening them for us Rex!
Hailey on the other hand loved opening all of her gifts. Here she is with her cousin Megan and her friend Maryan in the background. Thanks to everyone who made their birthday so much fun!
Later that day Ben and I got to get dressed up and go to the ExxonMobil Christmas party. It was a nice formal dinner that for some reason took nearly 3 hours to serve all the courses.
Here we are with our friends Akilla and Amit. Yes, you get to take prom pictures to commemorate the evening. In addition to this one with our friends, Benjamin and I had three others taken of ourselves cause I wasn't satisfied with any of them (typical...right?).
Here's a picture of the extremely rare snow that we saw here in early December-I'm sure my mom never thought she would see that in Houston.

Now before we went off to bed in the wee hours of the morning this strange looking thing is the best we could do.
Of course it didn't survive invasion during the night and if you'll notice on the cupcake in the bottom left corner there is a knight with a gumdrop catapult taking over the castle.
Here's some of the guests. We were so impressed that all the kids just sat there and ate...quietly.
Here's Hunter opening his first present. It was a great cordless drill like daddy's and he really didn't care to look at the rest of his presents after that-thanks for opening them for us Rex!
Hailey on the other hand loved opening all of her gifts. Here she is with her cousin Megan and her friend Maryan in the background. Thanks to everyone who made their birthday so much fun!
Later that day Ben and I got to get dressed up and go to the ExxonMobil Christmas party. It was a nice formal dinner that for some reason took nearly 3 hours to serve all the courses.
Here we are with our friends Akilla and Amit. Yes, you get to take prom pictures to commemorate the evening. In addition to this one with our friends, Benjamin and I had three others taken of ourselves cause I wasn't satisfied with any of them (typical...right?).
Here's a picture of the extremely rare snow that we saw here in early December-I'm sure my mom never thought she would see that in Houston.
On the actual day of Hailey's birthday we took a trip to the zoo with my mom and my sister in law Sharon and her youngest Ellie. We didn't stay too long because Hunter wanted to run away from every exhibit. Hmm, guess I didn't take many zoo picts. Well, the first one is Hunter petting a giant bunny.
For some reason the only picture I have of my mom from her trip is petting a baby aligator. Way to be brave mom. Thanks for coming to see us-we loved having you here!

7 comments:
You and Benjamin look so cute all dressed up! I like the ribbon on your dress that matches his shirt and tie. Very nicee. Your mom looks great too!
Sorry about the cake fiasco. I've decided to let my friend, Melissa, make birthday cakes from now on 'cause it stresses me out too much. I was impressed by your vision for the cake. It's more than i would try for!
ooh you know i love that prom revisited picture. :o) good thing is you don't look a day over 17.
Happy belated B-day to Hailey and Hunter!
By the way, Sister Carlson was at the mission reunion...she told me to tell you hi! So...hi!
Hey, I'm just now getting around to entering emails to make my blog private and I don't think I have your email. Email me at amberkeller at gmail dot com so I can add you.
all i can say is at least you had a cake that looked like something other than mush and there were actually kids your kids' ages there. 30 guests?? holy cow...i don't even think i know that many people anymore. i'm so impressed with the prom picture. what's even cooler is that you will hang it in your house. awesome. way to go buddy
My mommy looks beautiful in her alligator picture!
No, my mommy looks beautiful.
Post a Comment